I loved how Ryan combined the “Making” and the “Marketing” together in this book. The Making section has to do with creating something great, but realizing that only comes with doing lots and lots of whatever it is!
This is a great quote by Austin Kleon:
“Lots of people want to be the noun without doing the verb.”
To be a writer/author, we must write.
To be an artist, we must make art.
To be a piano player, we must play.
To be a teacher, we must teach.
To be an inspirational speaker, we must speak.
So whatever is on YOUR heart to do,
Be encouraged to take action and DO IT TODAY!!
“It’s so amazing how even in small ideas that come from ordinary people there can be wisdom, beauty, and insight that if they put in the work might reap incredible rewards.” Ryan Holiday
The 2nd section of the book is on Marketing and articulating what your project or vision is, what it does, how it helps people and who it is for. Ryan offers some practical suggestions for a launch plan for your project that was very helpful.
So - What creative idea or project are YOU working on right now?
Please share below any comments and any good books YOU are reading now!
Hello, Fellow Readers!!
WOW! My apologies in being negligent to this blog about books! I could say 2019 was a wild year personally and also very busy with the development of Empowered Women Create and my work in Cambodia, BUT I Never stopped reading!! I love books so much I am trying to slow down my purchases by limiting myself to used books and less of those! LOL! My focus is to read what I have!
So I am going to be posting about some really great books. Be sure to comment below and SHARE about the great books YOU are reading!!
“The Year of Less –How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life is Worth More than Anything You Can Buy in the Store”
By Cait Flanders 2018
Cait has an inspiring story of how she has overcome many difficulties in her life, including: drinking, compulsive eating, compulsive shopping, and TV.
She decided to do a shopping ban on new clothes, shoes, accessories, books, magazines, and household items. She allowed herself to buy consumables such as food, toiletries, and gas, and to replace anything broken or worn if would trash or donate the item. She only ate out on occasion. She got rid of everything she did not use.
“When you want less, you consume less, and you need less money.” Cait
Cait began to realize that she had enough and that she was enough.
“When you feel like bingeing, it’s usually because some part of you or your life feels like it’s lacking — and nothing you can drink, eat, or buy can fix it.” Cait
Cait will take you on her journey and give you practical steps on how you can do it too or a modified version of it.
This book was an encouragement to me as Kevin and I are downsizing. I am going through all the “stuff” accumulated in 43 years of marriage. I love to give and would like to be able to give more, so her practical advice concerning purchases etc. was inspiring. This book also encourages contentment and gratefulness for what you have.
I hope you are all doing well and navigating these crazy times! Let’s take the positive and enjoy and use the extra time we have for creative projects etc. and of course, READING!!
This has been one of the fastest and wildest years ever!! But I ALWAYS make time to read! LOL!
How about you? I started listing all the books I read in 2017. I wish I had thought to do this years and years ago. It would have been interesting to have a record. Anyway, Here’s a list of the books I read in 2018, or at least the ones I remembered to jot down! I wish I’d written a short review on each as I read them….. hmm… maybe in 2019?!
These are listed in order read, not by how much I liked or recommend them.
2018 BOOK LIST: *1. The Go-Giver – Bob Burg & John David Mann 2. Show Your Work! - Austin Kleon 3. Steal Like an Artist - Austin Kleon *4. Pursuing Justice, the Call to Live & Die for Bigger Things - Ken Wytsma 5. The Creative Habit - Twyla Tharp *6. Expectation Corner - Emily Steele Elliott 7. 70 Resolutions - Jonathan Edwards *8. Waiting on God - Andrew Murray *9. Wings Like Eagles - Andrew Murrray *10. The Culture Code - Daniel Coyle
11. First They Killed My Father - Loung Ung
12. Destined to Win - Kris Vallotton
13. Tortured for Christ - Pastor Richard Wurmrand
14. Glory Invasion, Walking Under an Open Heaven - David Herzog
15. Business Boutique - Christy Wright
16. Mysteries of the Glory - David Herzog
17. How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living - Rob Bell
18. Called to Create - Jordan Raynor
19. The Compound Effect - Darren Hardy
20. Praying from the Heavenly Realms - Kevin L. Zadai
21. Breaking the Stronghold of Food - Michael L. Brown w/Nancy Brown
22. Doing & Being - Barnet Baine
23. Where There’s Hope - Elizabeth Smart
24. The Three Battlegrounds - Francis Frangipane
25. Singing the Scriptures - Julie Meyer
*26. The Way of Love - Ted Dekker
27. The 49th Mystic - Ted Dekker
28. Not for Sale - David Batstone
29. Willpower Doesn’t Work - Benjamin Hardy
30. Beginning Magic Money - Holly Alexander
31. Magic Money Advanced #2 - Holly Alexander
32. Magic Money Mastery #3 - Holly Alexander
33. Manifest Presence of God - Walter Beuttler
*34. Switch On Your Brain - Dr. Caroline Leaf
35. The Perfect You - Dr. Caroline Leaf
36. The Secrets of the Notebook - Eve Haas
*37. The Invention of Wings - Sue Monk Kidd
*38. Prophetic Wisdom - Graham Cooke
39. The Prophetic Voice of God - Lana Vawser
40. Awakening Pure Worship - Jeff Deyo
41. The Way of Life - Bill Johnson
42. A Beautiful Kind of Broken - Luke Holter
43. The Right to Write - Julia Cameron
44. Secrets of the Seer - Jamie Galloway
45. All the Pretty Things - Edie Wadsworth
*46. Approaching the Heart of Prophecy - Graham Cooke
47. Come Thirsty - Max Lucado
48. Joy of Hygge - Johnny Jackson
*49. Praying Hyde - Captain E. G. Carre
Shoot! I wish I’d known I was one book from 50, I would have squeezed in one more! LOL!! I enjoyed reading all of these books, but some of my very very favorites that spoke especially to me this year are starred, though I gleaned some wonderful things from each book read.
My grandson, Eli, asked me what my favorite book was. I had a really hard time answering. I’ve always loved to read. Fiction? Non-Fiction? Art?
Please share your book list or your favorites for 2018 in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you and get some leads on books to read for 2019!
Hello, fellow readers!! Don’t you just love technology these days?! So even though I didn’t bring a lot of books with me, I have a lot of unread books on my Kindle app ready and waiting. I was so grateful they were, as I had an unexpected amount of reading time in the middle of my mission trip to Cambodia, courtesy of my appendix throwing a fit!
I read “The Invention of Wings” by Sue Monk Kidd. It was a fascinating book written during the time of slavery, abolition, and the beginning of the women’s rights movement based upon the true lives of the Gimske sisters. Sue writes with such insight into their hearts and minds that I just could not put it down. She not only shows us their amazing courage to stand for what they believed was right but also the inside heart and soul of a slave girl and her and her family’s courage and fortitude as well.
It is truly an inspiring story of courage and of “following your heart “ that can inspire us to press into our callings as well!
Wow! I was so affected by the 2 week exploratory trip to Cambodia. To actually walk through“The Killing Fields” and theS21 Genocide Museum and to hear the testimonies and see the place where many were killed. It is estimated 2 million people died during the time period of 1975-1979 under the Khmer Rouge. I wept as I saw and heard and felt the horror and oppression of these people. I was so grateful to meet one of the few survivors of S21, Chum Mey. I was able to take his hand and look him in the eye and tell him how sorry I was for what he had been through and his family and his country. We hugged and wept. I bought his book to treasure his story.
You tube of Chum Mey
I was also greatly affected by the ministry of Iris Cambodia there with the children and the families of the slums and with the rescue of children and women from the sex trafficking.
Notice the polymer clay hearts on these dear girls…. I gave out 104 hearts to tell the girls and women in the bars and brothels and the slums that they are LOVED. If you would like to help me prepare hearts to share for my September trip, please contact meor go HERE to my website.
When I returned home I continued to read and research about Cambodia: and I watched themovie on Netflix
#11 instead of using this new age meditation, hook into the
God of Peace & Love and meditate on a word from Him!
Ask God for a scripture – speak it out loud, memorize it, sing it, etc.
Meditate on God’s Word to you!
2. This is a newsletter I get from Dr. Debbie. Start Somewhere Wellness.
It always has a nice variety of health info,recipes, and sometimes art activities. This month’s health article is
“Be nice to Your Brain – Avoid the Carb Coma.” http://startsomewherewellness.com/be-nice-to-your-brain-avoid-the-carb-coma/?mc_cid=f796be374b&mc_eid=51d6cf1f52
4. Need some “grit” for 2018? Check out this article by James Clear: https://jamesclear.com/mental-toughness This is a great article, just remember that the Jesus is the “author and finisher of our faith!” He is our strength. We do not depend on our own!5. Holiday Art Journaling with Carolyn Dube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd85arOJWbI&feature=youtu.be “Shaking off a bit of holiday stress in my art journal with the help of the rainbow. Whatever is on my mind ends up in my art journal, and since the holidays were top of mind, I created trees by cutting out book text. Using Gelatos and water, they became colorful trees.” Carolyn Dube
Blessings and Love,
MiMa Jane & PaPa Kevin with all the grandkids!
I have been reading the most inspiring books
the last month or so!!
Here’s the list: 1. “God’s Generals: Why They Succeeded & Some Failed” by Robert Liardon. Wow! This book covered many men and women of God who were used in powerful ways for salvations with acts of healings and miracles. Each account covered their backgrounds and a significant encounter with God and empowerment by the Holy Spirit, followed by preaching the gospel, healings and miracles. The accounts also share their relationship, their shortcoming, and perseverance during persecution. The testimonies of their lives so inspire me and make me hungry for more of God - to know Him more and to see Him move powerfully in people’s lives!!
Lou Engle birthed “The Call” in 1999, a gathering of tens of thousands for 12 hours of fasting and prayer. Prayer is laying the foundation for the global harvest to come. TheCall.com
Lou shares his personal journey in hearing God and pursuing God through prayer and fasting. He shares about the power of corporate prayer & fasting and mentions many revivals. This book was confirmation of the growing desire in my heart to do a longer fast. In this book, Lou also mentions a book entitled, “The Atomic Power with God thru Fasting & Prayer” by Franklin Hall. I was blown away by the testimonies of revival and of course, had to order this book!! LOL!
3. “The Atomic Power with God thru Fasting & Prayer” by Franklin Hall This book was written in 1946, the year after the atomic bomb was released on Japan. As the call to come together to pray and fast across denominational lines occurred in San Diego, fasting & prayer caught like wildfire across America and Canada. Jamaica erupted with revival, Oral Roberts, T.L. Osborn and Gordon Lindsay experienced massive campaigns of salvation and healing. The power of adding fasting to prayer is exponential/atomic - especially if done corporately. Franklin shares about the many revivals that exploded across the world during this time and many personal testimonies from individuals concerning their own experience and encounter with God and healing as a result of fasting and praying. Franklin also shares some practical things about fasting and the effect on the body physically and spiritually, how to fast, the different stages one goes through in the fast, and how to go off the fast. This is very helpful and enlightening.
These testimonies and revivals will inspire you to fast and pray! What could/would happen if we would agree to fast and pray together to see God move in us, in our families, in our churches, in our towns, in our county, in Missouri, and in the United States?!! God is the same “yesterday, today and forever”. He wants to move today. This is one of the most exciting times in history! Surely we are going to see the greatest revival and harvest! Do not be discouraged by the evil you see, but overcome evil with good and keep your eyes on Jesus! He has won the victory, and He is moving in a powerful way across the earth. He wants us to be activated to do our part by listening to Him, seeking Him , and carrying out His orders, His strategy to bring Light into every part of our world! Shine! Shine! Shine!
Please share what awesome books you are reading in the comments!
I am WAY overdue in posting! I have been working on a brand new website. Check it out at www.janecookcreate.com and let me know what you think!
I have been reading some interesting books, especially “Drawing with Children - A Creative Method for Adult Beginners Too” by Mona Brookes. Some of us still have children at home, some of us are focused on grandchildren now. But this book is for you as well! Visual learning can be used both to directly access all subjects and also to support other modes of learning. There are key thinking skills in visual perception are learned through this method of drawing. It is fascinating! Building the skills using this method can improve and make reading, writing and spelling easier to learn! Interesting, huh?! In addition to the importance of expression visually. People are incredibly affected and influenced in the visual realm. We need to encourage our children and ourselves to express ourselves visually/creatively. I also find “creating” of any kind very relaxing and meditative.
So, what is this method? She breaks down drawing into 5 simple lines that make up all shapes - the “ABCs” of drawing what you see. Then she give you simple drawing exercises that teach you how to see them and practice drawing them. So many people say, “I can’t draw a stick figure!” That’s because there are 2 types of drawing - the symbolic, like stick figures, and drawing from what you see using these lines.
EVERYONE CAN DRAW!!!
I always taught that in my Art classes,
but this books expresses it so beautifully and
helps each child or person to succeed in drawing.
FUN!!! Check it out!!
And just think, drawing can help a child succeed in other
subjects they might be struggling with as well.
I was listening to a Creative Warriors podcast on my way to my weekly class in Cape, and I listened to an interview of Evan Carmichael. I got so pumped up I was trying to write down some things on a napkin while I was driving!! LOL! Then I realized he had a book, “Your One Word - The Powerful Secret to Creating a Business and Life that Matter.”
Now some of you know that part of my word I believe God gave me for 2017 was to Fast from excess/accumulation and that includes Books! To read what I have and practice what I have already learned! To take Action in 2017!!
Here’s the audio of the message I gave at Mercy & Truth Fellowship Church,
if you are interested!
ANYWAY, I talked it over with Kevin and bought the book as I had tried to take notes from the podcast and felt it was so pertinent to what I am believing to do in 2017! YES!!! The book was soooooo gooooood! It is about getting focused on what your Core Belief is to help you focus your business, ministry, or life. It asks questions to try to help you come to what that is. Such as: What makes you happy? What is the connection between all those things? What traits do you hate? What is your constant? Is this who you really are? Then he goes over limiting beliefs.
Evan uses amazing examples and stories from other people and gives practical application to actually “DO IT”, not just read about it!
I am so excited to see that my ONE WORD for 2017 and this new understanding of My One Word, my core, converges. I believe that Evan gives an amazing tool to create the business/ministry that I have been dreaming of and working toward. I believe that you would really enjoy the book as well!
I so loved the “One Word” Retreat last year at Selah Among the Hills. We had such a good time hearing from God for our “One Word” for 2016 and time together using mixed-media to express that Word. My Word was “FLY.”
I looked at this Word often throughout the year and it certainly was a year of “Flying” and freedom into the things/dreams God has put on my heart.(ie. Mission trip to Thailand and Singapore with Randy Clark/Global Awakening to the Revive Asia Conference, 3 weeks in Les Cayes, Haiti with Catherine Roux , loving kids in the village feeding program, the hospital, and teaching 25 street boys some new skills to help create sustainable income. We are also moving forward with the Healing Rooms to have the first Thursday of the month open to the public for prayer and mobile teams to go out to pray for others on the other Thursdays. I also have continued to use art with the residents at Camelot Nursing Home.)
So what is your One Word for 2017? I found a book that uses this concept. It is “One Word that Will Change Your Life.”
” Each year resolutions are rarely kept and goals are often easily forgotten but One Word sticks. By living a single word that is meant for you, you’ll find renewed purpose and meaning throughout the year and achieve laserlike focus and power for your life. ONE WORD FOR ONE YEAR.”
The Process is 3 steps:
1. Prepare Your Heart - Look In. Disengage from the hectic pace of life. Unplug. Stop. Get Quiet. Ask “What do I need?” “What’s in my way?” “What needs to go?”
2. Discover Your Word - Look Up. Plug in to God. Seek God. Listen. Ask Him - “What do you want to do in me and through me?” He will reveal youR word to you. Get a “God” word.
3. Live Your Word - Look Out. Apply your Word to every area of life. Take Action. Live your Word with purpose and passion every day in 2017! This one Word can have spiritual, physical, emotional, relational, mental, and financial impact!